Nicely baked, chewy cookies aren't just made with white flour! These Whole Wheat Peanut Butter Cookies are nutty, lightly crunchy, chewy, and full of peanut butter flavor.
This recipe was originally published on March 27, 2020. It was updated with new photos and additional recipe information on August 16, 2023.
Table of contents
It's baking time again, everybody! On today's menu: chewy whole wheat peanut butter cookies!
These cookies are buttery, butty, sweet, sugary, and chewy -- essentially everything we know and love about peanut butter cookies!
They bake at high-altitude, have super easy roll-out instructions, and are a great baking recipe to make with the family. So get that butter thawing and join me in the kitchen for some first-class baking therapy!
These Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies Are...
- Rich in Whole Grains
- Unsalted Butter: Softened to room temperature.
- Natural Creamy Natural Peanut Butter: Stir the peanut butter well and let it come to room temperature.
- Granulated White Sugar: Adds sweetness and chew to the cookies!
- Vanilla Extract: Use pure extract for the best flavor.
- Large Eggs: Binds the cookies together and adds depth of flavor.
- Milk: Just 1 teaspoon adds tenderness and a touch of moisture to the cookies.
- Whole Wheat Flour: Nutty and delicious, wheat flour is the perfect compliment to peanut butter.
- Baking Powder: Gives the cookies just the right amount of loft.
- Salt: Naturally enhances the delicious peanut flavor.
- Vanilla: Pure powdered vanilla extract should work in place of the liquid vanilla extract
- Peanut Butter: Traditional, or non-natural, peanut butter can replace natural peanut butter in a pinch. Natural, however, will make the cookies more chewy!
- All-Purpose Flour: The same amount of all-purpose flour can substitute for the whole wheat flour.
How to Make Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line the baking sheets with parchment paper or a Silpat mat.
Step 2: In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, peanut butter, and sugar.
Step 3: Add in the vanilla, eggs, and milk and cream the mixture together until smooth and tan-colored.
Step 4: In a small mixing bowl, lightly whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt until combined.
Step 5: Slowly mix the flour mixture into the wet mixture until a thick batter forms. Do not overmix.
Step 6: Roll the peanut butter dough into scant 2-tablespoon balls and place them 2-3 inches apart on the baking sheet.
Step 7: Spray a drinking glass with non-stick spray. Dip the drinking glass in a small dish of granulated sugar and gently press down on the top of the peanut butter balls until flattened to ¼ inch, re-sugaring the glass between cookies.
Step 8: Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, or until the cookies are golden brown on the bottom.
- To make uniform cookies, use a cookie scoop.
- Measure the flour by weighing it. This will give the cookies the best texture. Alternatively, you can measure the flour by spooning it into the measuring cup and leveling off the top with a knife.
- Check the bottom of the cookies to know when they are done. When they are golden brown they are ready to take out of the oven!
- Variation: use other nut or seed butter. Almond butter, cashew butter, and even sunflower seed butter would all be tasty in these cookies.
- Gluten-Free: To make gluten-free chewy peanut butter cookies, just substitute the same amount of 1-to-1 gluten-free flour in place of the whole wheat flour.
- Dairy-Free: To make these peanut butter cookies dairy-free, simply substitute vegan butter for unsalted butter.
High-Altitude Baking Directions
Yes, you definitely can make these cookies at high altitude! I regularly make them at 5000 feet in Colorado with no issue at all.
You don't need to adjust the recipe, either, so just bake away!
Tools Needed to Make This Recipe
- 2 large cookie baking sheets
- Parchment paper or silicone baking mat
- Stand mixer or hand mixer
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups & spoons
- Rubber spatula
- Large cookie scoop
More Cookie Recipes
- Peanut Butter Brookies
- Peanut Butter M&M Cookies
- Andes Double Chocolate Mint Cookies
- Funfetti Cookies
- Edible Peanut Butter Cookie Dough
More High-Altitude Baking Recipes
- Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Hazelnut Fudgy Bonbons
- High Altitude Sugar Cookies
- High Altitude Chocolate Chip Cookies
If you make and like this recipe, please review and rate it 5 Stars at the top of the recipe card. This helps other people to find the recipes and helps this reader-supported publication, too!
Thank you so much for your feedback and support of Mae's Menu!