Lightly sauteed kale and garlic come together with a creamy lemon tahini dressing in this Warm Kale Salad recipe.
This post may contain affiliate links, where I can make a small profit at no expense to you. See my disclosure policy for details. Thank you so much for supporting Mae's Menu!
For the longest time, warm salads or salads with hot dressings (read: hot bacon vinaigrette) reminded me of early 2000’s buffets, but this Warm Kale Salad changed all of that.
I don’t know if it was the Mother’s Day and Easter brunches we went to, or the fact that it was that we were living on the East coast, but bacon has never really been my thing. I know. Life is full of regrettable things.
A few weeks ago, however, when scrounging through the fridge for a last minute and late night feed-me-so-I-can-just-go-to-bed-already dinner, I started thinking about how good it might be to quickly saute up some kale and then toss it with a warm, savory dressing.
If my East coast circa 2001 roots are showing, at least they’re good ones. Given my aversion to bacon and given that it was oh-so-late and I was being oh-so-lazy, I started rooting for some dressing options in the fridge.
Thankfully, for my dressing and condiment hoarding habit, I had a container of my Lemon Tahini Dressing on hand. I tossed it quickly with the warm kale I’d sauteed with garlic and red pepper. Throwing it all in a bowl -- there was no sharing for this girl that night -- I saddled up to a warm and inviting salad that both filled me up and reminded me of home.
Order your groceries through Thrive Market and receive a $22 gift!
Warm Kale Salad Cooking Notes:
- The amount of kale you will initially be sauteeing will likely look like an obscene pile. Don't worry, though, it will cook down. If the amount of kale is too big to turn in your pan without it spilling out, however, you can cook it in batches.
- I am lazy and don't mind the ribs in the kale so I don't re-rib it. If you are not lazy and/or do not like them, feel free to re-rib.
- This recipe makes for 1 ultra-hearty main salad or 2 side salad portions. Feel free to double, triple -- or increase by any multiplier of your choosing -- based on how many mouths you are feeding.
- If using a refrigerated Lemon Tahini Dressing that you made earlier, it may be thick. If so, feel free to thin it up by stirring in a tablespoon or so of cooler water.
If you make and like this recipe, please review and rate it 5-stars at the top of the recipe card. This helps other people to find the recipes and helps me out, too!
Thank you so much for your feedback and support of Mae's Menu!
A quick and hearty warm side salad. Vegan and gluten-free. See the recipe below for the Lemon Tahini Dressing.
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 5 cups packed lacinato kale
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ⅓ cup lemon tahini dressing
- Preheat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat then add olive oil to the pan and heat. Once oil is hot enough that it sizzles when water is flicked on it, add in kale and sated for 5-6 minutes, stirring often, or until turning bright green.
- Add in garlic and pepper and saute for 1.5-2 minutes longer, continuing to stir continually, or until garlic becomes fragrant and starts to golden but isn’t browning or burning yet.
- Remove pan from the heat and stir in dressing. Serve hot!
Leftovers will last in the fridge for 2-3 days. This salad does not freeze well.
Amount Per Serving Calories 267Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 0mgSodium 654mgCarbohydrates 26gFiber 7gSugar 7gProtein 9g
This nutrition breakdown is an estimate of the nutritional value of this recipe and cannot be taken as facts. The owners of Mae's Menu are not nutritionists or dieticians and therefore cannot be held accountable for this nutrition estimate. Please contact your nutritionist or medical professional for a nutritional breakdown of this food. Furthermore, this food is not intended to prevent, diagnose, cure, or treat any disease.
Recipes Similar to Warm Kale Salad:
- Kale and Broccoli Salad with Lemon Parmesan Dressing
- Maple Lime Fried Kale and Brussels Sprouts
- Italian Farro Salad with Fennel & Citrus
- Roasted Beet & Fennel Herb Salad
- Super Easy Arugula and Apricot Salad