Creamy, cheesy, and so easy to make, this Refried Bean Dip with Cream Cheese will be a hit at any get together, gathering, potluck, or BBQ!
Table of contents
It's potluck season, which mean it's prime time for me to share my new favorite taco bean dip! This hot and cheesy bean dip is what my potlucking and barbecuing dreams are made of.
This cream cheese bean dip is creamy, cheesy, savory, and simple to make. Just a few easy steps of mixing together the 6 ingredients and all you have to do is bake the dip before enjoying!
Serve the dip with tortilla chips, crackers, veggie slices, or even pretzels. You can also take the recipe up a notch by sprinkling it with sliced black olives, green onions, or diced tomatoes.
Serve this dish hot-- straight out of the oven. It's the best when the cheese is freshly melted and the bean dip is smooth and creamy.
We love to serve this hot bean dip at barbecues, potlucks, game day, and almost any place a group of hungry friends are gathering. It never fails to be a hit! Try it out for yourself today!
Save this refried bean dip recipe for later on Pinterest:
- Refried beans - any variety of plain or unseasoned refried pinto beans works. You can even make this recipe with refried black beans.
- Taco seasoning - I made this recipe with a pre-made seasoning mix, but you can also make it with a homemade blend.
- Cream cheese - I prefer light cream cheese, but full fat also works.
- Sour cream - full fat sour cream will deliver the best flavor results.
- Salsa - your favorite brand and flavor of salsa is great for this recipe. If you'd like a spicier bean dip, use medium or spicy salsa.
- Shredded Mexican cheese - if you don't have the Mexican cheese blend, shredded cheddar cheese also works.
How to make this cheesy taco dip with refried beans:
For the complete recipe and measurements, scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a quart-size baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the cream cheese, sour cream, and taco seasoning until smooth and creamy.
Note: the cream cheese doesn't need to be at room temperature, but the mixture will blend together easier if it is.
- Mix in the refried beans until thoroughly combined.
- Fold in the salsa and ¾ cup of the shredded cheese mix into the bean mixture until combined.
Note: you want the beans fully mixed into the bean mixture, but not pureed. Mix in with the stand mixer or hand mixer, scraping down the sides of the bowls as needed, until no streaks of the cream cheese mixture remain.
- Pour the bean dip into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the dip with the remaining ¾ cup of remaining cheese.
- Bake the dip until the cheese is melted, golden, and bubbling around the edges.
Note: if you're a big cheese fan you can sprinkle the dip with up to ½ cup extra cheese.
Ways to enjoy leftover bean dip:
This leftover bean dip is delicious reheated (directions below) with chips, crackers, or veggies. It's also delicious warmed up and smeared on or in burritos, tacos, huevos rancheros, and more. Feel free to experiment and share your favorite ways to enjoy these leftovers in the comment section below!
Making the dip ahead of time:
Even though the dip is best enjoyed hot and fresh out of the oven, you can still partially prepare it ahead of time.
Just prepared the dip, pour into the prepared pan, and sprinkle with cheese before covering the pan with aluminum foil and refrigerating for up to 24 hours before baking according to the recipe card directions and serving.
Storing and reheating leftovers:
Refrigerating: Leftovers last covered in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
Freezing: remaining dip can be frozen in a freezer-safe container to up to 2 months.
Reheating: heat the bean dip on medium heat in the microwave for 1-2 minute increments, or until heated through and the cheese is melted.
Tools needed to make this recipe:
- Mixing bowl or stand mixer
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Whisk (optional)
- Silicone spatula
- 1-Quart baking dish
More dip and appetizer recipes:
- 5 Layer Bean Dip
- Healthy Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Peach Avocado Salsa
- Air Fryer Egg Rolls
- Air Fryer Potato Skins
- Dairy-Free Buffalo Chicken Dip
- BBQ Chicken Nachos
If you make and like this recipe, please review and rate it 5 Stars at the top of the recipe card. This helps other people to find the recipes and helps this reader-supported publication, too!
Thank you so much for your feedback and support of Mae's Menu!