Crispy, flaky, and flavorful Air Fryer Salmon is a gourmet-level meal that's ready in under 20 minutes!
This recipe was originally published on November 20, 2020. It was updated on July 8, 2021.
A go-to staple recipe salmon lovers will adore, this Flaky Air Fryer Salmon makes crispy, juicy, and oh-so-tasty salmon every time! This recipe is made without any oil, is made with clean ingredients, and is ready in under 30 minutes. In this recipe, I will share how to make the dish, serving suggestions, storage tips, and more.
Table of contents
- Article summary:
- This air fryer salmon recipe is...
- Recipe ingredients
- Recipe substitutions:
- Can I put fish in the air fryer?
- Is air fryer fish healthy?
- What type of salmon do you need for this recipe?
- What brand of air fryer do I use?
- What is the internal cooking temperature of salmon?
- How to cook salmon in the air fryer:
- Tips to make the best air fry salmon:
- How long do leftovers last?
- Can you double or triple this recipe?
- What other seasoning combinations can you use?
- What do you serve with air fryer salmon?
- Tools needed to make this recipe:
- Check out my other delicious air fryer recipes:
We're going simple but effective today, folks.
'Cause when you have a great piece of fish that's perfectly cooked, you really don't need to do a lot. If anything, overdoing it can be a disservice to the seafood.
The whole "less is more" thinking takes the pressure off of us in the kitchen, too. Just whisk up the maple glaze, brush it over the fish, pop it in the air fryer, and you're good to go.
I don't know about you, but I love to have standby recipes that I can count on to be simple, versatile, quick, and -- most importantly -- delicious.
This salmon recipe is most definitely one of those recipes. With just common pantry seasonings, maple syrup, and lemon juice, this recipe is accessible and flavorful.
Ready in under 20 minutes and complimenting so many side dishes, this recipe is ready in a pinch and perfect with almost any side dish you throw at it.
This air fryer salmon recipe is...
If you haven't tried air fryer salmon yet, do yourself a favor and try recipe tonight!
- Salmon fillets
- Maple syrup - pure maple syrup will give the best flavor
- Dried thyme
- Dried dill
- Yellow mustard powder
- Cayenne pepper - also known as "red pepper"
- Onion powder
- Salt - sea salt or Himalayan pink salt is best
- Lemon juice
- Steelhead trout -- though technically a different fish, steelhead trout has a very similar texture and flavor to salmon. It can work as a replacement for salmon, but the cooking time may go faster.
How to cook salmon in the air fryer:
- Preheat the air fryer with the rack or basket inside of it.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the spices, salt, and maple syrup until combined.
- Brush the salmon evenly with the maple glaze.
- Add the salmon to the air fryer basket and cook until the fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Squeeze lemon juice over the salmon and serve hot!
- Preheat the air fryer before cooking - this will ensure that the salmon cooks the quickest and most evenly.
- Spray the air frying rack before frying - prevent your salmon from sticking to the rack by spraying it with non-stick spray before cooking.
- Don't be bashful about the lemon - in this recipe, the lemon brings out and ties together all the flavors in the dish.
- Adjust your cooking time - air fryers cook at different speeds, so start on the shorter end of the cooking time and add on additional time as needed.
- Use real maple syrup - it provides superior flavor.
Yes, according to Megan Byrd, RD, "Air frying fish is a healthy alternative to sautéing or deep frying it, because it limits the added fats and calories without sacrificing flavor, texture, or nutrition. Air fried salmon is one of the healthiest ways to enjoy heart-healthy fish!"
Boneless fillets of salmon (with or without skin) are great for this salmon recipe. You can fry a salmon steak, too, though you may need to add on cooking time to accommodate the larger piece of fish.
You want to cook salmon through to 145 degrees Fahrenheit in the thickest part of the salmon fillet. For the most accurate results, you can check this with a food thermometer. Generally, when the fish flakes easily with a fork it has reached 145 degrees as well.
A note on my air fryer:
I use the Ninja Foodi Tendercrisp Air Fryer. I love it because it is built like a tank and offers so many functions. Not only can you air fry in it, but you can also pressure cook, dehydrate, make yogurt, saute, etc. It's an amazing all-in-one appliance (i.e. takes less storage space than if I had separate appliances for pressure cooking, etc.).
The Tendercrisp comes with an air frying basket (pictured) as well as air frying racks. I use the basket when I'm just cooking for the two of us and I use the racks when I am air frying for more people or am air frying two things at once.
Can I double this recipe?
Yes, you can easily double this recipe. Just double all the ingredients in the recipe and follow it as directed, cooking with the air fryer cooking racks or air frying in batches to accommodate the extra fish.
Leftover salmon lasts covered in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. It does not freeze well.
Tools needed to make this recipe:
More air fryer recipes:
- Air Fryer Turkey Burgers
- Air Fryer Potato Skins
- Air Fryer Tater Tots
- Air Fryer Egg Rolls
- Air Fryer Zucchini
- Air Fryer Butternut Squash
- Air Fryer Green Beans
- Air Fryer Smashed Garlic Potatoes
- Air Fryer Kale Chips
- Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
- Air Fryer Beer Brats
More salmon recipes:
If you make and like this recipe, please review and rate it 5 Stars at the top of the recipe card. This helps other people to find the recipes and helps this reader-supported publication, too!
Thank you so much for your feedback and support of Mae's Menu!