Crispy, crunchy, and tossed in a tangy-sweet vinaigrette, this Broccoli Slaw Recipe is a nutritious and tasty summer side dish everyone will love!
Broccoli slaw is a refreshing, light, and crunchy salad that you can serve with almost any summer meal. In this post I share instructions for how to prepare the recipe, suggested substitutions, mix-ins, storage directions, and more.
To skip straight to the recipe, just click "jump to recipe" at the top left of this post. To browse the different sections of this post, just click the headings in the table of contents below.
Table of contents
- This broccoli slaw salad recipe is...
- Broccoli coleslaw recipe ingredients:
- Ingredient substitutions
- What is broccoli slaw?
- How to make broccoli slaw:
- Broccoli coleslaw pro-tips:
- Recipe FAQs:
- Serving suggestions:
- Dietary adaptations:
- Storage directions:
- Tools needed to make this recipe:
- More broccoli & summer side salad recipes:
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclosure policy for details.
Ask me to bring a side dish to your summer barbecue this year and 9 times out of 10 I'll be bringing this broccoli coleslaw recipe.
Packed full of goodies like shredded broccoli, this fresh summer salad is nutritious and delicious thanks to a simple red wine vinaigrette, dried cranberries, and feta cheese.
Because the recipe contains no mayo, it is forgiving and safe to serve in warm air for moderate periods of time (read my notes below for the details). It's perfect for pool parties, Father's day, baby showers, the 4th of July, and more!
This recipe is SO STINKING SIMPLE, too! Only two steps and one bowl and your summer side dish dreams are served!
Did I mention that you don't have to turn your oven or stovetop on, either? This salad is a treat any night of the week -- barbecue/potluck or not.
Use up leftover broccoli stems by making your own slaw (recipes below in the FAQ section) or snag an affordable bag of broccoli slaw at the grocer. You can even substitute finely chopped broccoli florets in in place of the slaw to use up any leftover broccoli!
This broccoli slaw salad recipe is...
If you're looking for versatile summer salads that will be a hit of any summer get together this broccoli slaw is for you! It's a favorite everywhere it goes while being nutritious and super easy to make.
Broccoli coleslaw recipe ingredients:
- Broccoli slaw - found in the produce aisle of most grocery store chains
- Feta cheese
- Pita chips - crumbled chips add texture and crunch to the salad
- Dried cranberries - Made In Nature brand makes my favorite dried cranberries. They're tender and juicy and have no processed sugar!
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Red wine vinegar
- Dijon mustard - smooth is best
- Maple syrup
- Dried thyme
- Broccoli - diced broccoli florets can substitute for the broccoli slaw, as can traditional cabbage slaw
- Dried fruit - red raisins, golden raisins, or chopped dates or apricots can work in place of the dried craberries
- Vinegar - white wine vinegar or white balsamic vinegar can sub for the red wine vinegar
- Sweetener - granulated sugar or honey can work in place of the maple syrup
What is broccoli slaw?
Broccoli slaw is a combination of shredded broccoli stems, carrots, and sometimes red cabbage. The veggie combination is usually budget friendly and easy to find year-round.
How to make broccoli slaw:
- Make the broccoli slaw dressing: whisk together the red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, and dried thyme together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the broccoli slaw ingredients (slaw, dried cranberries, crumbled feta cheese, and crumbled pita chips) to the salad dressing and gently toss until covered. Serve!
Broccoli coleslaw pro-tips:
- Additional mix-ins: switch up your salad by mixing in ½ cup of diced green apples, grapes, sunflower seeds, red or sweet onion, green onion, sundried tomatoes, slivered almonds, or walnut pieces to the salad
- Crumble the pita chips: by hand or place them in a plastic bag and gently tap with a rolling pin
You can find shredded broccoli stems (also known as "broccoli slaw") in the produce aisle of most major grocery stores. Most grocery stores mix in shredded carrots and sometimes red cabbage, too. Any of the combinations works great in this recipe.
Yes, you can easily make your own shredded broccoli slaw by shredding peeled broccoli stems and carrots (red cabbage if you'd like, too) in a food processor.
You certainly can make this recipe ahead of time. Just toss all of the salad ingredients except for the pita chips, in with the salad dressing and chill for up to 8 hours. Toss the pita chips in with the salad right before serving.
Yes, because this recipe does not contain mayo, this slaw recipe can safely sit at room temperature for 1-2 hours while serving. The broccoli will lose it's crispness if it sits out much longer than 2 hours, so I recommend refrigerating after that, however.
I am not joking when I say that this broccoli slaw recipe goes well with almost any main dish!
You can also serve this salad with...
... and more! Have fun experimenting with your favorite serving combinations.
- Gluten-free: follow the recipe as directed, using gluten-free pita chips or Milton's Craft gluten-free crispy sea salt crackers.
- Vegan/dairy-free: follow the recipe as directed, either omitting the feta cheese or using plant-based feta
- Processed sugar-free: this recipe is processed sugar-free if you use maple syrup and cranberries that are processed sugar-free. I love Made in Nature's dried cranberries because they are sweetened with apple juice!
Leftovers keep covered in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. For best results, toss the pita chips in with the salad immediately before serving if you anticipate having leftovers when making the salad.
This recipe does not freeze well.
Tools needed to make this recipe:
More broccoli & veggie side salad recipes:
- Broccoli Raisin Salad
- Cranberry & Edamame Brown Rice Salad
- 5 Bean Salad
- Avocado Blueberry Salad
- Sweet Potato Quinoa Salad
- Greek Quinoa Salad
- Tuna Macaroni Salad
- Brussels Sprout Slaw
- Mediterranean Chickpea & Orzo Salad
If you made and liked this recipe, don't forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went for you in the comments! It always makes my day to hear from you!