Air fryer frozen sweet potato fries: crispy, crunchy, and sweet fries without all the oil or fat! This delicious side dish is ready in under 15 minutes & the honey mustard dip is to die for.
In today's post we will be making frozen sweet potato fries in the air fryer! These fries are super easy to make and disappear quickly, thanks to the honey mustard dipping sauce! Read on to learn how to make these fries, common FAQs, and more!
Table of contents
- Let's chat air fryer sweet potato fries!
- Sweet potato fries dipping sauce ingredients:
- Ingredient substitutions:
- How to cook frozen sweet potatoes in the air fryer..
- Recipe pro-tips:
- Recipe FAQs:
- Serving suggestions:
- Storage directions:
- Reheating directions:
- Dietary adaptations:
- Tools needed to make air fry sweet potato fries:
- More air fryer & sweet potato recipes:
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclosure policy for details.
If you're looking how to make sweet potato fries in the air fryer with frozen fries, you've come to the right place! This sweet potato fries recipe is one of my favorite - it's super easy, straight forward, and so delicious!
Frozen fries in the air fryer are so light and crispy. I don't know why, but I initially thought the frozen fries wouldn't cook through evenly or get too crispy on the outside and not cooked enough on the inside. BUT, I was so wrong!!
The results can't be better-- probably even better than oven roasting fries. Sweet potato fries in the air fryer come out crispy-crunchy on the outside and light and fluffy on the inside.
Really make a statement by serving the fries with my favorite honey mustard sauce. With the sweet and savory flavors we know and love and just enough of a finishing kick to make you lick your lips and reach for more, this sauce is a key part of our new all-star combo. Enjoy!
Save this recipe for later on Pinterest:
Let's chat air fryer sweet potato fries!
- Simple - the ingredient list is comprised of easy-to-find ingredients and the recipe is ready in just a few steps. This is a great recipe for beginner cooks and air fryer beginners.
- Quick - and I mean quick. This recipe takes less than 15 minutes, start to finish. Save time by whipping up the honey mustard dip while the sweet potatoes roast. Serve the fries with the dip to serve immediately after they finish air frying.
- Family-friendly - everyone will love these fries! The honey mustard sauce calls for just a dash of cayenne -- enough to add a kick to the sauce but not so much that it's overwhelming or hot. If any of your family or diners are sensitive to spice, reserve some or all of the sauce without the cayenne for serving.
- Year round - there isn't a time of year that people won't go crazy for sweet potato fries! They are as delicious served at a summer pool party as they are served for the Big Game in February or as a comfort food side dish in the fall. Bookmark this recipe because you'll keep coming back!
- Frozen sweet potato fries - this is all we need to make the fries themselves. We don't need any additional oil, salt, or seasonings (unless if you'd like to season additionally -- more notes on that in the recipe ingredient section below!). Use regular cut or crinkle cut fries for this recipe. I often use Alexia sweet potato fries, or Trader Joe's or Whole Foods brand fries.
Sweet potato fries dipping sauce ingredients:
This is where it gets fun! This honey mustard sauce is sweet, tangy, and finishes with a little kick!
- Plain Greek yogurt - any fat percentage is fine, though 2% or whole milk will offer more flavor than non-fat!
- Honey - your favorite go-to honey is great for this recipe. There's no need to use local or raw honey but you can if you have and prefer it!
- Smooth Dijon mustard
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Cayenne pepper - just a dash will do for a delicious, but not overwhelming kick. If you like more heat in your sauce, adjust the cayenne accordingly.
- Apple cider vinegar
- Yogurt - sour cream can substitute for the Greek yogurt. It will likely add fat to the recipe but will still be super tasty.
- Mustard - whole grain Dijon mustard, whole grain yellow mustard, or smooth yellow mustard can work in place of the smooth Dijon mustard. The texture and flavor may vary slightly, however.
- Vinegar - in a pinch, distilled white vinegar can substitute for the apple cider vinegar.
How to cook frozen sweet potatoes in the air fryer..
- Preheat the air fryer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato fries to the air fryer basket or tray and air fry for 11-14 minutes, shaking every 4 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Make the dipping sauce for the sweet potato fries: in a small mixing bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, honey, mustard, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and apple cider vinegar until smooth and creamy.
- Serve the sweet potatoes hot with the dipping sauce to serve!
- Preheat the air fryer. For 2-3 minutes before adding the sweet potato fries to the basket or tray. This will help the fries to cook evenly and quickly.
- Toss the frozen sweet potato fries in the air fryer, or about every 4 minutes throughout the cooking time. This also helps the fries to cook evenly, as it encourages an even flow of the hot air around the potatoes.
- Seasoning options. Most frozen sweet potato fries come pre-seasoned so you only need to season additionally if you want a different flavor profile on the fries. I recommend any combination of salt, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, smoked paprika, or cayenne powder. For best results, sprinkle the seasonings on these fries halfway through the cooking time.
- Doubling the recipe. This recipe can very easily be doubled -- just multiple the ingredients by the desired amount and follow the directions as listed, air frying each package of sweet potato fries individually so they cook evenly and in the recommended cooking time.
You most certainly can cook frozen sweet potato fries in the air fryer. Frozen whole sweet potatoes wouldn't work, but fries, tater tots, and even waffle fries cook up so well in the air fryer, making them crispy on the outside and tender and fluffy on the inside.
You need to air fry frozen sweet potato fries for 11-14 minutes, or until they are golden brown on the outside and cooked through.
You cook frozen fries in the air fryer at 390 degrees.
Honey mustard dipping sauce is our favorite sweet potato fries dipping sauce. You can also dip these fries in ranch, spicy ranch, creamy parmesan, or sriracha aioli. All of these sauces are so tasty!
These frozen sweet potato fries made in the air fryer are as good served with the honey mustard sauce as a snack or appetizer as they are as a dinner side dish! We love enjoying them with air fryer turkey burgers, turkey sloppy joes, or spicy brown sugar salmon.
Serve the fries with the honey mustard sauce to dip or make an experience out of it: drizzle the sauce over the fries, sprinkle with cilantro or flat leaf parsley, and sprinkle with flaky sea salt (like Maldon). It feels like a fancy appetizer you'd get at a restaurant!
Store leftover fries in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. They do not freeze well.
These fries are best consumed fresh out of the air fryer. If you do have leftovers, however, you can reheat them in the air fryer. They won't be as crisp as they were the first time but they still will be delish. Reheat the fries in the air fryer at 375 degrees for 2-4 minutes, or until heated through.
These fries should naturally be gluten-free, as long as the brand of sweet potato fries you are using is gluten-free.
To make this recipe dairy-free, use a dairy-free or nut-milk based Greek yogurt. If you can't find a nut-milk Greek yogurt, you can use regular nut milk yogurt but the sauce will be a bit thinner.
Leftover honey mustard sauce uses:
Leftover honey mustard sauce can be enjoyed many different ways: drizzled on salads, spread on sandwiches or wraps, as a dipping sauce for pretzels, soft pretzels, tortilla chips, and veggies and more.
Tools needed to make air fry sweet potato fries:
- Air Fryer - I have both the Instant Pot Duo Crisp and the Ninja Food Tendercrisp Air Fryers! Both are great for this recipe!
- Pot holders
- Small mixing bowl
- Measuring cups & spoons
- Silicone spatula (optional)
More air fryer & sweet potato recipes:
- Air Fryer Tater Tots
- Air Fryer Potato Skins
- Air Fryer Garlic Smashed Potatoes
- Candied Whipped Sweet Potatoes
- Spiced Sweet Potato Fritters
- Sweet Potato Soufflé
- Scalloped Sweet Potatoes
- Caramelized Dutch Oven Sweet Potatoes
If you made and liked this recipe, don't forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went for you in the comments! It always makes my day to hear from you!