Crispy, crunchy, and lightly spiced, these Sweet Potato Fritters are a crowd-pleasing appetizer and snack!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclosure policy for details.
Perfect for dinner parties, football parties, or even holiday get togethers, these Spiced Sweet Potato Fritters are a beloved appetizer!
With a crispy exterior, a warm and savory spiced interior, and a lemon sour cream dipping sauce, you can't go wrong with these crowd-pleasing sweet potatoes!
Most of the recipes on Mae's Menu are healthy, but every now and then we -- inspired by holiday dinners, football parties, and general #balance-- decide to switch it up.
One bite into these spiced sweet potato fritters and I knew they were worthy of becoming a little healthy food detour on the site, too.
Especially given that the big game is coming up and that this year, since we're still not back to our normal series of events, we're going to have to find other ways to make the big day memorable.
Also, these fritters are just good. I'm not anti-fried food, but I'm also the type to choose what fried food is worth the less-healthy nutritional profile. And these crispy sweet potatoes, my friends, are most certainly worth it.
With a sizzling crunchy exterior and a savory, lightly spiced, and warm interior, these sweet potato apps couldn't be any better.
Oh, wait. But maybe they can. One dunk in the easy-to-whip-up lemon sour cream dipping sauce, and you might -- like me -- start planning out all the events you want to make these guys at when life returns to more normalcy.
In the meantime, however, I hope they bring some more joy to your days, no matter how normal or abnormal they still may seem. Enjoy!
Table of contents
- These sweet potato fritters are...
- Recipe ingredients:
- Ingredient substitutions
- What cooking oil is best for this recipe?
- Can you make these fritters gluten-free?
- How to make sweet potato fritters:
- Fritter pro-tips + cooking notes:
- A note about deep frying:
- What's the easiest way to shred sweet potatoes?
- How do you serve sweet potato fritters?
- How do you keep the fritters warm until serving?
- Can you make this recipe without the spices?
- How long do leftovers last?
- Can you freeze leftovers?
- What's the best way to reheat leftovers?
- Tools needed to make this recipe:
- Other sweet potato recipes you'll love:
- Other appetizer recipes to check out:
- Get all my new recipes as they drop. Sign up to receive new recipes each week.
These sweet potato fritters are...
- Naturally sweet
- Lightly spiced
- A versatile appetizer
- Easily made gluten-free
Whether you are looking to brighten up a dreary day or treat some guests to a crispy appetizer, these potato fritters are for you!
Spiced Sweet Potato Fritters:
- Sweet potatoes
- Onion - yellow or white onions are perfect
- Baking powder
- Turmeric - the fresher your seasonings, the better
- Chili powder
- Large eggs - bind the sweet potato fritters together
- Vegetable oil - canola oil, avocado oil, and light olive oil are all great for this recipe
Lemon Sour Cream Dipping Sauce:
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt - preferably, 2 or 4% fat is using Greek yogurt
- Lemon juice - fresh juice is the best but bottled juice also works
- Garlic powder
- Lemon zest
- Sweet potatoes - garnet yams can work in place of the sweet potatoes
- Flour - whole wheat flour or 1-to-1 gluten-free flour can substitute for the all-purpose flour
- Mayonnaise - avocado or olive oil mayo work in place of traditional mayonnaise
What cooking oil is best for this recipe?
The best cooking oils for this recipe are vegetable oils. Vegetable oil, canola oil, avocado oil, and light olive oil all work very well for this recipe. Grapeseed oil can work for the recipe in a pinch, too.
Can you make these fritters gluten-free?
Yep, you can very easily make these fritters gluten-free. Just substitute 1-to-1 gluten-free flour for the all-purpose flour and follow the rest of the recipe as directed.
How to make sweet potato fritters:
- Shred the sweet potatoes - you can easily do this in a food processor or with a metal vegetable grater
- Squeeze the excess moisture out of the potatoes.
- Toss the sweet potatoes with the flour and spices until combined.
- Gently fold the minced onions and lightly whisked eggs into the shredded sweet potato mixture.
- Preheat the vegetable oil to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Gently drop heaping 2 tablespoon scoops of the sweet potato batter into the oil. Cook for 2-3 minutes each, turning the fritters halfway through the cooking time.
- Place the cooked fritters on a dinner plate lined with paper towels.
- Whisk up the lemon sour cream sauce and serve with the hot fritters!
Fritter pro-tips + cooking notes:
- Heat the oil to 375 degrees Fahrenheit - any hotter and the fritters will quickly burn; much lower and the fritters will get soggy
- Squeeze the moisture out of the potatoes - place the sweet potatoes in a dish towel, cheesecloth, or paper towel and squeeze all the moisture out before making the batter.
- Don't step away from the heat/pan while cooking - these fritters cook fast, so you don't want to leave the pan un-accompanied on the stove.
- Let the fritters dry/drain after cooking - the fritters will have excess oil on them when you scoop them out of the pan. Letting them drain on the towel-lined dinner plate will help them drain the extra oil and come to a safe eating temperature.
A note about deep frying:
I tried to pan fry this recipe 3 times before I realized that we had to deep fry the fritters to get that crave-worthy crunch. When just pan-frying, the fritters turned more into a pancake than a fritter. Which was, well, ok, but not what I'm going for when I make a fritter recipe.
So, if you're worried about the health effects of deep frying, please know that I tested every option before recommending deep frying to you. 🙂
What's the easiest way to shred sweet potatoes?
Shredding sweet potatoes in a food processor is my preferred and easiest way to shred them. If you don't have a food processor you can shred the sweet potatoes by hand on a grater. It will take a bit of extra elbow grease but you'll get a similar end result.
How do you serve sweet potato fritters?
I recommend serving these sweet potato fritters with lemon sour cream dipping sauce. With tart and bright flavors of the sauce complement the hot and crispy sweet potato fritters. One dip in the sauce and I bet you won't be able to eat just one fritter!
I like to serve the fritters with the sauce at...
- Holiday parties
- Cocktail parties
- Family dinners
- Sports & football parties
How do you keep the fritters warm until serving?
To keep the fritters warmed until serving, place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper in an oven heated to 200 degrees for no longer than 30 minutes (these fritters are best fresh!).
Can you make this recipe without the spices?
Though you can make these fritters without spices - simply omit them and follow the rest of the recipe as directed - I don't recommend it. The spices don't make the sweet potatoes spicy, they just had a savoriness and depth that elevates the recipe to a whole new level.
How long do leftovers last?
Leftovers last covered in the refrigerator for 2-3 days, though this recipe is best enjoyed fresh.
Can you freeze leftovers?
Yes, you can freeze these leftovers. For best results, store them in a freezer-safe container with sheets of parchment or wax paper between them to keep them from sticking together. Fritters will last in the freezer for up to 2 months.
What's the best way to reheat leftovers?
To reheat fritters, place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and reheat in the oven at 275 degrees until the fritters have heated through and re-crisped, or about 4-8 minutes for refrigerated fritters and 10-13 minutes for frozen fritters.
Tools needed to make this recipe:
- Grater or food processor
- Large mixing bowl
- Measuring cups & spoons
- Silicone spatula
- Large skillet or dutch oven
- Heat-safe frying ladle
Other sweet potato recipes:
- Sweet Potato Harissa Hummus
- Healthy Sweet Potato Souffle
- Cuban Sweet Potato & Black Bean Burgers
- Sweet Potato Tacos
- Roasted Sweet Potato & Quinoa Salad
Other appetizer recipes:
- Cheesy Asparagus Tarts
- Avocado Peach Salsa
- Healthy Spinach & Artichoke Dip
- Cheesy Asparagus Tarts
- Healthy Deviled Eggs
If you made and liked this recipe, don't forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went for you in the comments! It always makes my day to hear from you!