Healthy orange chicken that isn't breaded or deep-fried while still being delicious as ever!
This recipe originally appeared in my eCookbook, Fueled: 30-Minute Dinners to Live and Run Well. Grab your copy here!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclosure policy for details.
Healthy orange chicken made extra simple and delicious thanks to a star ingredient: orange marmalade. This orange marmalade chicken is ready in a snap and takes on a few simple cooking steps. Try it out today!
If you love the flavors of Chinese takeout but don't love the sodium, fat, and other processed ingredients often found in it, this recipe is for you!
If you're intimidated by baking Chinese food and/or think that it will require hours in the kitchen and a list of hard-to-find ingredients, this recipe is also for you.
And finally-- if you just want a quick dinner that your family will love, this healthy orange chicken recipe is most certainly also for you!
Talk about an inclusive recipe!
This recipe is made ultra-easy (and tasty!) easy thanks to a star ingredient: orange marmalade! Already thick and jammy, all we need to do is step it up with soy sauce, pantry seasonings, soy sauce, and rice vinegar.
Reduce the sugar in this recipe by using a sugar-free, low-sugar, or all-fruit orange marmalade, but this recipe is still so much lower in sodium and fat than the original deep-fried chicken at Panda Express.
Easily double this recipe for meal prep or to feed a crowd. Either way, this chicken cooks up fast and disappears even quicker. A winning recipe no wonder what type of dinner you're looking for!
Table of contents
- Healthy orange chicken that isn't breaded or deep-fried while still being delicious as ever!
- This orange marmalade chicken is...
- Skinny orange chicken recipe ingredients:
- Ingredient substitutions:
- How to make healthy orange chicken:
- Orange chicken stir-fry pro-tips:
- Orange chicken FAQs:
- Serving suggestions:
- Dietary adaptations:
- Storage directions:
- Tools needed to make this recipe:
- More quick chicken recipes you'll love:
- Get all my new recipes as they drop. Sign up to receive new recipes each week.
This orange marmalade chicken is...
Say "goodbye" to the days that you don't know what to make for dinner. This orange maramalade chicken is easy enough to make regularly and delicious enough the the family will ask for more!
Skinny orange chicken recipe ingredients:
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs - or a combination of both
- Orange marmalade - storebought or homemade both work great
- Sriracha sauce
- Soy sauce - or coconut liquid aminos if gluten-free
- Rice vinegar
- Ginger powder
- Cornstarch - also known as "cornflour" in the U.K.
- Coconut or avocado oil
- Minced garlic
- Low sugar orange marmalade - reduce the sugar in this recipe by using a low-sugar, sugar-free, or all-fruit orange marmalade in place of the traditional variety
- Ginger - 2 ½ teaspoons grated fresh ginger can substitute for the ginger powder
- Sriracha - ¼ to ¾ teaspoon cayenne or red pepper can replace the sriracha
- Garlic - 1 teaspoon garlic powder can substitute for fresh garlic. Only saute for 30 seconds to 1 minute if doing so, however
- Vinegar - in a pinch, distilled white vinegar can work in place of the rice vinegar
How to make healthy orange chicken:
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk the marmalade together with the other sauce ingredients.
- Stir-fry the chicken and black pepper in the oil for 10-11 minutes, stirring frequently, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add the garlic to the pan with the chicken and stir-fry until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the sauce to the chicken and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring the sauce as it simmers until it has thickened.
- Remove the chicken from the heat. Garnish with green onions or cilantro (if desired) and serve hot. Enjoy!
Orange chicken stir-fry pro-tips:
- Prepare all the ingredients ahead of time - this recipe cooks quickly so you will have the best success if you have all of the ingredients measured out and ready to use before the recipe starts.
- Cook over high heat & stir frequently - the two foundations of stir-fry cooking are to cook over high heat and stir the recipe frequently. This helps the recipe cook quickly and evenly while keeping the meat juicy.
- Cut the chicken into uniform sizes - this helps the chicken to cook evenly.
Orange chicken FAQs:
You thicken the sauce for orange chicken by simmering it over the heat. The cornstarch in the sauce, in combination with the marmalade, will thicken up when it boils.
You can buy orange marmalade at most major grocery stores, Whole Foods/Amazon, and at Trader Joe's.
Bitter orange marmalade does not work well for this recipe. The recipe won't have the same balanced flavor as it does with sweet orange marmalade.
For a weeknight dinner, serve this orange glazed chicken over steamed rice, quinoa, or even cauliflower rice.
This recipe is delicious alongside...
- Stir-fried veggies
- Steamed broccoli
- Steamed carrots
- Air fryer green beans
- Roasted asparagus
- Reduced sugar - make this orange ginger chicken lower in sugar or even sugar-free by substituting low-sugar or sugar-free orange marmalade or only fruit orange marmalade.
- Gluten-free - make gluten-free orange chicken by substituting coconut liquid aminos in place of the soy sauce
- Refrigeration - leftovers keep covered in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
- Freezing - leftovers can be frozen in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. For best results, defrost the chicken in the refrigerator for 12 to 24 hours before reheating (directions below).
- Reheating - reheat refrigerated or defrosted leftovers in a microwave-safe container over medium or medium-high heat for 1- 1 ½ minutes or until heated through. Reheat frozen leftovers over low heat, stirring every few minutes, or until defrosted. Then reheat on medium-high heat at 30-second intervals until heated through.
Tools needed to make this recipe:
- Small mixing bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cutting board
- Chef knife
- Wok or 12-inch saute pan
- Heat-safe spatula
More quick chicken recipes:
- Crispy Herbed Panko Chicken
- Air Fryer Chicken Bites
- Southwest Chicken with Black Bean Sauce
- Instant Pot Chicken and Potatoes
- Thai Green Chicken Curry Recipe
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- Frozen Veggie Stir-Fry with Chicken
- Peanut Butter Chicken Curry
- Sheet Pan Apricot Chicken and Potatoes
If you made and liked this recipe, don't forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went for you in the comments! It always makes my day to hear from you!