A decadent chocolate malt-flavored smoothie with absolutely no processed sugar!
This post may contain affiliate links, where I can make a small profit at no expense to you. See my disclosure policy for details. Thank you so much for supporting Mae's Menu!
With how many smoothies I post on here, it’s probably hard to believe that I once was not a smoothie lover. I know. We all have our weaknesses, right?
It seemed like the only smoothie recipes I found were those with added processed sugar and didn't have a lot of healthy fats. Because of that, my blood sugar would spike and then I would be ravenous an hour or two later.
I’m already hungry enough. I don’t need any more help with that.
The Turning Point
The change happened this past fall when reading the Run Fast Cook Fast Eat Slow cookbook. Their smoothie bowl recipes I tried were flavorful and filling without any processed sugar. Most of them also had veggies added but never tasted grassy.
Healthy Chocolate Smoothie with Banana and Coconut
Now this smoothie doesn’t have any greens in it, but it does have healthy fats and natural, but not overwhelming, sweetness thanks to being sweetened 100% by bananas and dates.
The Chelsea of five years ago would be shocked. But she could rest assured that I’m now doing more than my share of making up on lost time with this Healthy Chocolate Smoothie with Banana and Coconut.
- Whip this up and share with a friend or family member or just save it all for yourself and eat it over two days. It will melt just a bit in the fridge overnight but still tastes great the next day.
- Use frozen coconut chunks. I experimented with dried coconut chips and they’re too gritty and don’t have enough sweetness. If you’re looking for quality, but reasonably priced frozen coconut chunks, check out Trader Joes’ offering. They’re my preferred.
- Banana ripeness: the flavor is best with bananas that are just starting to form brown spots. That’s right! You have another recipe to for your browning bananas!
Order your groceries through Thrive Market and receive a $22 gift!
Recipes Similar to Healthy Chocolate Smoothie with Banana and Coconut
- Creamy Raspberry Smoothie
- Mae's Mean Green Smoothie
- Blueberry Spinach Smoothie
- Pineapple Blueberry Acai Smoothie Bowl
- Coconut Vanilla Spiced Granola
- Coconut Maple Chai Breakfast Risotto
If you make and like this recipe, please review and rate it 5-stars at the top of the recipe card. This helps other people to find the recipes and helps me out, too!
Thank you so much for your feedback and support of Mae's Menu!
A gluten-free & vegan smoothie without any added processed sugar! Another great recipe for your overripe bananas.
- 2 Cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk, or your preferred nut milk
- ½ Teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 ripe bananas, just starting to form brown spots
- ¾ Cup frozen coconut chunks, unsweetened
- 4 pitted medjool dates
- ½ Cup ice
- Add all ingredients to the blender in the order listed and run on medium speed for 45 seconds - 2 minutes (depending on the strength of your blender), or until coconut chunks are pureed in.
- Pour into glasses and serve!
Amount Per Serving Calories 390Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 7mgSodium 132mgCarbohydrates 62gFiber 8gSugar 39gProtein 8g
This nutrition breakdown is just an estimate of the nutritional value of this recipe and cannot be taken as facts. The owners of Mae's Menu are not nutritionists or dieticians and therefore cannot be held accountable for this nutrition estimate. Please contact your nutritionist or medical professional for a nutritional breakdown of this food. Furthermore, this food is not intended to prevent, diagnose, cure, or treat any disease.