With four different variations, there is always a great way to enjoy a homemade Vegan Protein Shake! Choose from coffee, chocolate peanut butter, fruit, or green protein smoothies for a plant-based treat or light meal!
Table of Contents
Eat a diet rich in plant protein and enjoy the flavor while you are at it! These high-protein smoothies are easy to make, satisfying, and delicious. With 20 grams of protein per serving, healthy fats, and other whole foods, there is nothing not to love about these dairy and lactose-free protein shakes!
Choose the variety that best fits your cravings of the day, but know that all of the variations are vegan diet-friendly and all-around great additions to your day!
Choose Your Protein Shake Adventure
With four different variations, there's never a bad time to whip up one of these plant-based protein shakes. They are all easy recipes and a delicious way to add a significant amount of protein and essential amino acids to your day!
- Chocolate Peanut Butter: The frosty chocolaty and nutty vegan chocolate protein shake of your dreams! So simple to make and completely satisfying.
- Coffee: For an extra boost in your snack or breakfast smoothie! Rich, lightly sweetened, and energizing.
- Fruit: Feature your favorite fruits in a vegan and dairy-free protein shake the whole family will love!
- Green: Because there is never a bad time to add extra greens to your diet! Lightly sweetened and features blueberries, too!
Why You'll Love These Vegan Protein Shakes
- Creamy and Smooth: Regardless of the flavor combination you choose, these homemade protein shakes boast an incredibly smooth and creamy texture.
- Nutritious: These vegan smoothies are a great way to enjoy 20 grams of plant-based protein, fruits, healthy fats, and vegetables, making them a good-for-you addition to your day!
- Versatile: Whip up a smoothie in less than 5 minutes to enjoy for a post-workout snack, mid-afternoon pick-me-up, or blend one up for a healthy breakfast.
- Customizable: Whether you are craving java, in the mood for a green smoothie, or desiring a classic fruit blend, there's a vegan protein shake recipe for you!
- Simple Ingredients: All you need to make these shakes are non-dairy milk, plant-based protein powder, maple syrup, bananas, and a few additional ingredients (fruit, peanut butter, cocoa powder, etc.) of your choice. These shakes are made with no added sugar or artificial sugar, too!
Unflavored Vegan Protein Powder: I prefer unflavored powder, so I have more control over the flavors and sweeteners that I add to the vegan protein powder. I prefer Orgain protein powder or almond protein powder. If you don't have unflavored protein powder, chocolate or vanilla protein powder can work for most of the variations.
Plant Milk: Almond milk, oat milk, soy milk, cashew milk, or even coconut milk all work great in these high-protein vegan shakes.
Maple Syrup: Allows you to control the sweetness of the non-dairy protein shake recipe without adding processed sugars or artificial sweeteners. If you don't have maple syrup, 1 large pitted Medjool date can substitute for it.
Banana: Adds creaminess and sweetness to the plant-based protein shake without using milk or processed sweeteners. Bananas also add extra nutrition!
Additional Variation Ingredients
Depending on the variation of the smoothie you make, you will need any of the following ingredients:
- Cocoa Powder: Natural cocoa powder, such as Hershey's brand, is best. Cacao powder can substitute for an extra nutritional boost.
- Peanut Butter: Smooth natural peanut butter adds staying power and flavor. Substitute almond butter for an enjoyable twist.
- Espresso: Enjoy your smoothie with an additional energy boost! Make the coffee with a Moka pot, espresso maker, or even instant coffee granules.
- Frozen Fruit: Choose a selection of different frozen fruits, such as blueberries, berries, mango, peaches, pineapple, or more if opting for the fruit smoothie variation. Stick with just blueberries if you are blending up a green smoothie. Fresh fruit can also work in the recipes, but the smoothie likely won't be as cool or frosty.
- Baby Spinach: Adds greens, extra nutrition, and a mellow-sweet flavor.
How to Make the Best Vegan Protein Shakes
For the complete recipe and measurements, scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Step 1: Add all of the ingredients to the blender in the other listed. Blend until smooth.
Step 2: Enjoy immediately!
- Add the ingredients to the blender in the order listed. This will help blending go smoothly and prevent the blender from getting jammed up.
- Use a frozen banana. Frozen bananas keep the smoothie exceptionally creamy and cool whereas ice can add a watery, sometimes even gritty, element to the shakes.
- How to freeze bananas. For the easiest usage, freeze bananas ahead of time but slicing them and spacing them out on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet before freezing through. Once the bananas are frozen, move them to a freezer-safe bag and grab banana chunks as you need them or smoothies!
- Variations: Make this vegan recipe your own by adding in 1 tablespoon of chia seeds, hemp seeds or hemp hearts, or even flax seeds.
- Refrigeration: Protein shakes are best enjoyed fresh. If necessary, they can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1 day. Blend them up with a handful of ice cubes to refresh the smoothie.
- Freezing: Meal prep your vegan protein smoothie by making a large batch of smoothies at the beginning of the week and freezing individual servings to defrost as needed. Thaw the frozen smoothies in the refrigerator 24 hours ahead of time. Blitz up in the blender or give them a good stir with a spoon or straw before enjoying.
Plant-based eaters can add protein to smoothies in a variety of ways: through vegan protein powders, nut butter, seeds, and protein-rich non-dairy milk like soy milk or pea protein fortified milk.
It all depends on what flavor direction you want your protein shake to go, but some nutritious mix-in options are cacao or cocoa powder, nut butter, spinach, seeds (hemp, chia, flax), bananas, fruit, coffee, nut butter, and more. The options are really endless, so have fun making your protein shake your own!
Tools Needed to Make This Recipe
More Smoothie Recipes
- Chocolate Banana Protein Smoothie
- Mocha Protein Shake
- Cottage Cheese Smoothie
- Creamy Raspberry Smoothie
- Blueberry Spinach Smoothie
- Green Peanut Butter Date Smoothie
- Pineapple Banana Smoothie
If you make and like this recipe, please review and rate it 5 Stars at the top of the recipe card. This helps other people to find the recipes and helps this reader-supported publication, too!
Thank you so much for your feedback and support of Mae's Menu!