Are the stores out of pasta sauce or are you simply looking for an easy, yet healthier tomato sauce? This Easy Homemade Pasta Sauce Recipe only takes two easy steps and less than 30 minutes. Make it for dinner tonight!
Don’t fear when the stores are out of pasta sauce or you no longer have any on hand, I have you covered with this Easy Homemade Pasta Sauce. With just 2 steps and 30 minutes, you’ll have a flavorful and fresh tomato sauce that’s lower in salt and sugar than most pre-made versions. Make up a batch tonight and have a delicious family dinner on the table in no time!
I’ve seen and heard about it and you might have, too — many grocery stores are currently out of tomato pasta sauce.
First came the rush on TP, Clorox wipes, and hand sanitizer, and now comes the rush on pantry staples.
There’s nothing to worry about, however, because I’m here to share that homemade pasta sauce doesn’t have to be a drag.
Yes, that’s right– long gone are the times of spending full days in the kitchen preparing sauce — either for dinner that night or for canning for the months to come.
Instead, I’ve been spending the last few years making a quick and easy homemade pasta sauce that’s lower in sodium and added sugar than most jarred pasta sauces you can get in the store.
“Just how quick and easy are we talking here, Chels?” you might be thinking.
We’re talking only two steps and less than 30 minutes before having a flavorful and fresh (with no preservatives!) pasta dinner on the table. I know. So why don’t we go sharing that news now?
Either that or run to the kitchen to get started on dinner. I’m in full support either way. 🙂
P.s. — I also have directions for how to make this sauce into a meat sauce and also how to cook it with meatballs. Read the recipe notes to find out how — it’s easy!
This Easy Homemade Pasta Sauce Is…
- Perfectly seasoned
- Ready in under 30 minutes
- Made in just two steps!
Long gone are the days of homemade pasta sauce taking forever and making a huge mess. This easy tomato sauce takes only two steps and less than 30 minutes to make while being lower in sugar and sodium than typical store-bought versions.
How do you make easy pasta sauce from scratch?
It is super easy to make tomato sauce from scratch! Just throw all your ingredients in a blender or food processor, run, and then simmer the sauce on the stovetop for 25 minutes!
What can you use if you don’t have pasta sauce?
There are many things you can use if you don’t have pasta sauce. You can simply toss the pasta with olive oil, parmesan, and lemon zest or you can top the pasta with sundried tomatoes in oil, olive oil, and salt and pepper. One final option is to top your pasta with pesto.
But, most importantly, you can also make your own pasta sauce from scratch super easily with this easy homemade pasta sauce recipe or with the notes in the section above.
What kind of tomatoes are best for pasta sauce?
Any kind of canned tomatoes will do for homemade pasta sauce, but I like to use San Marzano canned tomatoes if they’re available. Their flavor is like nothing else.
You can find San Marzano tomatoes in the canned foods department of most major grocery stores and Trader Joe’s.
How can I make spaghetti sauce taste better?
There are a few ways to make spaghetti sauce taste better. First of all, I like to add red wine vinegar — just a splash! It brings out the brightness of the tomatoes. Adding red wine can add depth to the sauce and adding some diced garlic and dried Italian seasonings (like basil or oregano) can really enhance the flavor of the sauce. Finally, if the sauce still tastes flat, you can also add a tablespoon or two of tomato paste to make the sauce taste better.
Other easy dinner recipes you might enjoy:
- Mom’s Tuna Macaroni Salad Recipe
- One-Pot Orecchiette with Sausage
- Spicy Bourbon Glazed Salmon
- Instant Pot Pineapple Chicken and Rice
- Pressure Cooker Bean Soup
- Italian Beef Ragu
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash & Red Lentil Soup
If you make and like this recipe, please rate it by clicking on the 5-star rating on the recipe card. I appreciate it so much! <3
Whether you're looking to for a healthier pasta sauce alternative, are out of pre-made pasta sauce, or simply prefer homemade sauce, this Easy Homemade Pasta Sauce is for you. It's made in just two steps and takes all pantry staples you probably already have on hand.
- 28 oz. canned whole peeled or diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3 large peeled garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Combine all the ingredients in the order listed to a food processor or blender and run on low speed for 10-30 seconds, or until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the sauce to a saucepan and bring to a light simmer over medium to medium-high heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring every few minutes, or until the sauce thickens up and turns a darker red. Remove from the heat and serve!
1. This recipe lasts covered in the fridge for 4-5 days or freezes in a freezer-safe container for up to 2 months.
2. How to make this recipe a meat sauce -- saute ground meat in olive oil over medium heat for 4-5 minutes, breaking it up as you saute, or until the meat is cooked through and no more pink spots remain. Then add the tomato puree to the meat and simmering it according to tot he recipe.
3. How to make this sauce with meatballs --
If using frozen meatballs -- add the meatballs to the sauce after 15 minutes of simmering and simmer the sauce an extra 10 minutes (for a total of 35 minutes).
If using freshly baked meatballs -- Add the meatballs to the sauce after 15 minutes of simmering and simmer for an extra 5 minutes (for a total of 30 minutes).
Amount Per Serving Calories 71Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 0mgSodium 510mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 3gSugar 4gProtein 2g