Like roasted squash but better, this Air Fryer Butternut Squash is crispy, caramelized, and delicious! A great side dish that is made with just 3 ingredients while being nutritious, naturally gluten-free, and vegan. Additional seasonal variations are available.
This recipe was originally published November 9, 2020. It was updated with new recipe information and photos on September 21, 2023.
Table of Contents
Make the most of the fall squash season with this delicious and easy air fryer butternut squash recipe! Made with simple ingredients and ready in just a few steps, this is one of our favorite air fryer recipes.
The caramelized and golden brown squash cubes are a perfect healthier option during the holiday season while still being an easy side dish to make weeknight meals tasty and nutritious!
Just preheat the air fryer, toss the squash pieces with olive oil and salt, and air fry until the veggies are fork-tender and golden! I also share optional seasoning recommendations to take this easy air fryer recipe to the next level. Discover and enjoy this perfect side dish recipe today!
Whether you're looking for a new way to serve a squash or looking for a healthier holiday side dish, this Air Fryer Butternut Squash is sure to be a win!
Just preheat your air fryer, toss the squash with oil and salt, and air fry until the veggies are golden brown and delicious! I also share optional seasoning recommendations to take your squash to the next level. Add this recipe to your menu tonight!" player-type="default" override-embed="default"]
Why You Will Love Air Fryer Butternut Squash
- Nutritious and Delicious. This air fryer squash recipe is a healthy side dish and a fantastic way to add your veggies. Though the vegetables are front and center, they are roasted to caramelized-sweet perfection.
- Allergy-Friendly. Without dairy, gluten, or nuts, air-fried butternut squash is a tasty option for all the diners at your table.
- Quick and Easy. Though the total cook time for this recipe is 30 minutes, the air fryer handles most of that time. Just season the butternut squash, toss it in the air fryer, and tend to the rest of your meal!
- Just 3 Ingredients. Yes! For real. Though additional seasoning variations are possible, all you need are 3 ingredients for side dish perfection.
All of the ingredients for air fried butternut squash can be found at your local grocery store. Here's what you need:
- Butternut Squash: Choose a large butternut squash with a smooth tan-colored skin. Peel the butternut squash with a vegetable peeler and scoop the seeds out before cubing with a sharp knife. Pre-cut butternut squash pieces also work. If the chunks are too large, but roughly chop them before air frying.
- Olive Oil: Either extra virgin or virgin olive oil.
- Salt: Kosher salt and sea salt add the best flavor.
- Squash: Other hard and naturally sweeter winter squash like kabocha, honeynut, or delicata can also work. Peel the squash and seed if necessary before air frying.
- Oil: Avocado oil or melted coconut oil can easily work in place of the extra virgin olive oil
How to Air Fry Butternut Squash
Step 1: Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit with the air fryer basket or tray installed.
Step 2: In a large bowl toss the butternut squash with oil and salt until combined. Toss in the additional seasonings (listed below) if desired.
Step 3: Add the butternut squash to the air fryer basket or tray in a single layer.
Step 4: Air fry the butternut squash cubes for 18-20 minutes, tossing occasionally throughout the cook time, or until fork-tender and golden brown. Serve hot!
- Preheat the Air Fryer. For 2-3 minutes, or until the air fryer has come to full heat. This will ensure that the squash roasts evenly and quickly.
- Toss the Butternut Squash Throughout Cooking. Or, about every 5 minutes to help it cook evenly.
- Warm Cinnamon Spice: For a fall-inspired flavor, toss ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon + ¼ teaspoon ground ginger with the squash before roasting. Drizzle the cooked squash with 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup before serving.
- Savory Spice: Enhance the air fryer roasted butternut squash with earthy and smoky notes by seasoning it with ½ teaspoon cumin and ¼ teaspoon chili powder.
- Rosemary Parmesan: Toss the cubed squash with 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary (or ½ teaspoon dried rosemary) and 3 tablespoons of grated parmesan cheese before adding to the air fryer.
This air fryer squash recipe is very versatile. It's quick and easy enough for a weeknight dinner, yet also special tasting enough to be a Thanksgiving side dish.
- Refrigeration: The leftovers keep covered in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. They do not freeze well.
- Reheating: Reheat the squash in an air fryer preheated to 300 degrees for 2-5 minutes, or until heated through. It also can be warmed up in the microwave on medium heat.
Yes, if you will be cubing the squash to roast or air fry it, you always need to peel and de-seed it first.
Yes, you can cook frozen cubed butternut squash in the air fryer. Add the squash to the air fryer from frozen, do not defrost it first, and add an additional 2-5 minutes of cooking time if needed to achieve tender and golden perfection.
Tools Needed to Make This Recipe
- Cutting board
- Vegetable peeler
- Chef knife
- Measuring spoons
- Mixing bowl
- Air fryer (I use the Ninja Foodi Tendercrisp)
More Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Turkey Burgers
- Air Fryer Portobello Mushrooms
- Frozen Egg Rolls in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Vegetables
- Air Fryer Salmon
- Air Fryer Zucchini
- Frozen Broccoli in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Green Beans
- Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes
- Air Fryer Kale Chips
- Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
If you make and like this recipe, please review and rate it 5 Stars at the top of the recipe card. This helps other people to find the recipes and helps this reader-supported publication, too!
Thank you so much for your feedback and support of Mae's Menu!